Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Spread the Word to End the Word

I look forward to the first Wednesday in March every year.  It is special to me because it celebrates special people.  It’s not a Hallmark holiday, but maybe should be.  Most don’t even know what the first Wednesday in March represents…

Spread the Word to End the Word.

The “R” word.  


Although it’s definitely not as common anymore, I cringe when when I hear “that’s retarded” or hear a person referenced as a “retard”.  Say it around me and more than likely we’ll have a conversation.

I work with special needs students, and have for the past 17 years of my incredible teaching journey.  I can’t imagine not working with these magnificently, differently abled students. They bring joy to my life and make me a better teacher and person.  

I encourage everyone to celebrate March 2nd this year and pledge to Spread the Word to End the Word.  Spend time with some differently abled students, let them bring sunshine into your world. Share a video with your class, promote it within your school. Take the lead in ENDING THE WORD!

You can find many great resources at  www.r-word.org

No comments:

Post a Comment