Friday, October 21, 2016

Mentoring - A Two Way Street

men·tor
ˈmenˌtôr,ˈmenˌtər/
noun


  1. an experienced and trusted adviser.

I’ve been very lucky in having some great mentors throughout my professional career.  They’ve encouraged me, challenged me and have made me a better educator. My mentors are still ones that I look up to and contact on a pretty regular basis for support and questions.  A true mentor is someone that you trust and know will be around for a lifetime.

It was a great honor to be selected as a mentor to a recent graduate from my alma mater, The Ohio State University.  My mentee emailed and shared with me some of her goals and aspirations as a new educator. I am eager to meet with her in person next week.


I am most eager to learn from her though.  Although I am honored that she sought out a mentor and that OSU chose me to work with her, I think I am the one who will benefit the most. A young educator with fresh ideas and exciting goals for the future - the possibilities are endless!  She is eager to be connected and grow in our profession. I think together we can explore so many opportunities.  We have such vast backgrounds and work in such varying environments that the learning opportunities for each other should be astounding!

Here’s to an exciting year of learning and growing!



No comments:

Post a Comment