Monday, January 2, 2017

"BELIEVE" #oneword


When I started reflecting on what my one word for 2017 would be I knew I wanted it to be more meaningful and purposeful to me than the words I chose in the past.  My past words “determined” (2015) and “hope” (2016) were great words, but in all honesty, I didn’t put a lot of passion in them throughout the entire year. I was determined in 2015, and I had hope in 2016, but this year, I will fully embrace my word.

This year my word is BELIEVE. I find that I gravitate towards sayings that include it.  As you can see, there are many things I own that have “believe” in it;  my planner, a 10K race I completed, and a quote that sits on my fireplace. I see it every day and in everything I do - “believe” is something I believe in.
IMG_2863.JPGIMG_2866.JPGIMG_2865.JPG


  • I believe that I can be a better daughter, friend, mentor and teacher. I know that I am able to give a little more every day and show others how important they are to me. I will be present and listen to see how I can do this.  

  • I truly believe that as educators we can move forward in making the future better for our students.  I will be cognizant to their needs and build strong relationships with them.

  • I adamantly believe that there are better ways to teach and meet the needs of ALL our learners and I will do all I can to ensure that I advocate for these students and families.

  • I believe that the world is filled with kind, helpful people. Most people want to do their best, so I will support others as we grow and learn together.

  • I believe that through the support of others I will achieve my professional goals and continue to grow and learn throughout the journey.

Having the strong conviction of believing I can will make these goals doable and achievable. Sure, I will need help achieving my goals, but I believe that my friends and strong network of supporters will help me do just that!  

A gift for myself to remember everyday to "believe" 

5 comments:

  1. I believe 2017 will be your best year yet, and I am so glad to be along for the ride to learn from you and celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, BELIEVE is a perfect word for you. I've always loved the "Henry Higgins" philosophy about education. Henry Higgins was the man in My Fair Lady who turned Eliza Doolittle into a "Lady." He didn't have confidence in her... he had confidence in himself to be able to teach her. How exciting would it be if all educators embraced the word Believe! Thank you for always being so positive!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie, such a great word for your one word. To believe you have to have passion! TO believe is to step out in faith. You have already taken the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodie you're doing the right thing. You've got great support around you. You believe you can't fail. That's a recipe for success in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodie,

    I'm actually working on a post right now about what I believe as an educator. Our beliefs are what drive our actions. They are our "why". Thank you for sharing your beliefs...they are those of a true educator and one who inspires!!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete