Sunday, December 10, 2017

Impact Makers

I’m an avid reader, usually having a couple of books, journals, magazines all going at once. I’m currently reading (and loving) David Geurin’s (@DavidGeurin) Future Driven and Dale Carnegie’s classic, How to Win Friends and Influence People (which is also part of a book chat I’m participating in). Both books talk about the importance of showing others they matter.


I strongly believe that we should acknowledge those who have made an impact on us. 

There are many people this past year that have allowed me to reflect, push further, dig deep, cry, smile, laugh out loud, and lead me to be a better me. They are impact makers! These people are educators, leaders, students, parents, family members and even the local postmaster!

So this weekend I sat down and wrote them all personal notes. Twenty-two notes. Yes, it took time, but for every note I wrote, I reflected and thought about that person and only that person. They need to know that they had made an impact. One of my impact makers has passed away. Her husband will receive my note.

It was an amazing feeling to write these notes. As educators, we need to think about the people who inspire us, make us think, and make us better. We may give them a shout-out tweet or say something in an email, but an unexpected handwritten note just does something more!
 
I encourage all of you to think of at least five people to write letters to this week. One a day. Tell them you’re proud of them. They motivate you to be better. Share how they've made you be more reflective in your practice. Tell them you appreciate them. Five people.

Who are your impact makers?

11 comments:

  1. You are an impact maker, Jodie. Thank you for allowing me to participate in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Starr. That means that world to me! I'm grateful to have you on my wild, fun ride!!

      Delete
  2. No wonder you were so busy this weekend!!! I appreciate your challenge, and I accept it! Thank you for the motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am beginning now, Jodie. Thank you for including me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very inspiring post, Jodie. I've so proud of you and happy to be a part of your journey! Keep lifting up others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. You continue to lift and inspire me. Grateful to have you as part of my journey!

      Delete
  5. Jodie, you are an inspiration. You continue to add value to others and that is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Tim. I appreciate your mentorship and friendship.

    ReplyDelete