Sunday, March 11, 2018

Balance

I’m not going to sugar coat things. I took a risk and started a project that I truly love doing this year, and it’s been a bigger undertaking than I anticipated. Do I regret it? Not one bit! It has taught me so much about myself, and especially the importance of balance.

I admit, I’m the type of person who wants things with my name attached to it to go well. I have learned the last few years that in order for things to go well, that it requires me to plan a little better, be a little more time savvy and have action plans ready. Do I miss family dinners, movies with friends, walks with the puppy? Absolutely not. Those are as important to me as ensuring that the projects that I am developing get fulfilled. It’s truly a balance.

I hosted a recent webinar on Work/Life Balance (presented by Lori Green and Mark French) for the Aspiring Leaders cohort. (Watch the webinar HERE). It is so important for us as educators (AS HUMANS!) to make time for ourselves or we risk burnout, which is the opposite of what we think we’re trying to accomplish!

Some healthy Work/Life Balance Strategies: 
  • Turn off work email at a designated time each evening
  • Set at least one weekend day free of email/work related tasks
  • Join a group that will enhance an interest of yours (having a commitment to this will ensure that you are serving yourself!)
  • Enlist support from your family and friends to ensure you’re making time for them/you
  • Get a planner, write things down (or use digital) and then reflect on your priorities 
  • Delegate or share tasks when you can. Rely on others. Build others up!
  • Get well needed rest 
Most importantly, it is important to take care of yourself. If you are showing signs of burnout, stress, anxiety, etc., please seek professional advice. You’re not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment