Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Too Close To Home

As any true Buckeye fan, I arrived at work Monday morning still on a high from Saturday’s win over our longtime rival University of Michigan (for those that don’t know -- the game went in to TWO overtimes and the final score was 27 - 30 Ohio State!)

As I was teaching I received a text message from Ohio State - “Active shooting on campus. Run, hide, fight.”  (although I no longer attend classes there I’m still on their text list.)

The texts continued to come.  As I taught my students my mind couldn’t help but to wander off to the people who I knew were on campus that day.  Were they okay?  Were the students and staff at OSU, at my alma mater, safe?  

Quick texts and check-ins from friends allowed me to be comforted.  We later learned that the university police was on the scene in less than a minute and all victims should recover.

OSU was lucky, but that hit too close to home.

This was a wake up call for me. We all need to be vigilant, aware, and prepared.  More importantly, we need to be thankful for every day and appreciative of those in our lives. Reach out today, this week, and make sure someone knows that they matter, that they have made a difference in your life. Make each day great!

No comments:

Post a Comment